Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and trust in the Lord. (Psalm 4:4, 5)
Vince Lombardi, the legionary football coach of the Green Bay Packers, would start every new season's first team meeting by holding up a football and saying, "Gentlemen, this is a football." It was coach Lombardi's way of reminding his players that success (winning games) depends upon staying focused, practicing and then executing the basic skills of running, throwing, blocking and tackling.
As Christians, we also need to be reminded to stay focused, practice and execute the basics of our new life in Christ. In Psalm 4, King David reminds us that success (defined by pleasing the Lord) depends upon five basic exhortations:
1. Tremble or stand in awe of God. As His servants, we worship, fear and respect Him as almighty God; I am the Lord your God... You shall have no other gods before Me. (Exodus 20: 2, 3)
2. Do not sin. Christians have the clear motivation, knowledge and power to not sin; For you have been bought with a price, therefore glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:20)
3. Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still; When you are alone at night (or anytime) with only your thoughts, meditate upon God and His word. Quietly and humbly listening to Him, as the Holy Spirit gives you His wisdom and personal application; ...In humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:21)
4. Offer sacrifices of righteousness; Once you know God's righteous will, do it! God desires and deserves our total obedience; But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. (James 1:22)
5. Trust in the Lord; Just as we are trusting Him for salvation, we must trust God in everything and at all times; Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)
Christian, this is the Bible... Now stay focused, practice and execute the basics! Maranatha!